Projects
Services
Government Bodies
Flag Tuesday, 4 October 2022
Minsk +7°C
All news
All news
Sport
04 May 2022, 16:19

World's leading tennis players against Wimbledon's ban on Belarusians, Russians

MINSK, 4 May (BelTA) – The world's leading tennis players are against the ban of Belarusian and Russian players by Wimbledon, BelTA has learned.

Former world number one Andy Murray said in an interview to Daily Mail that he was not supportive of Wimbledon's ban of Belarusian and Russian players. Andy Murray stressed that the athletes who had been banned got into a very complicated situation, that for them it was an unfair decision.

Another former world number one Rafael Nadal of Spain told the media that he was very sorry for his Belarusian and Russian colleagues. In his opinion, it was not their fault what was happening in that very moment in the world.

World number 3 Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece also spoke against the decision of the Wimbledon organizers: “It is not nice that they are not allowed to play, I believe. They have done nothing wrong to be automatically defaulted from that competition.”

The Wimbledon tennis tournament will run from 27 June to 10 July 2022.

Subscribe to us
Twitter
Recent news from Belarus