Government Bodies
Flag Friday, 20 February 2026
All news
All news
Society
20 February 2026, 12:55

Details revealed about release of previously pardoned Nikolai Statkevich 

MINSK, 20 February (BelTA) - Details have emerged regarding the release of Nikolai Statkevich, who was previously pardoned by the Belarusian president. Nikolai Statkevich was sentenced in 2021 to 14 years in prison on charges of organizing mass riots, BelTA has learned.

The head of state approved a request from the convict's family to release him due to his illness, press secretary of the Belarusian leader Natalya Eismont told the media, according to the Telegram channel Pul pervogo. 

“First of all, I would like to remind you that the president made the decision to pardon Nikolai Statkevich a long time ago. But at that time, Statkevich refused to go to the 'Garden of Eden' [European Union countries]. He returned to prison. A considerable amount of time has passed since then, and the convict began having health problems. Specifically, he suffered a cerebral infarction,” the press secretary said.



Natalya Eismont noted that the president was informed about this. The head of state made the decision to immediately transfer Nikolai Statkevich to a hospital, where all necessary and timely assistance was provided - he was saved.

Subsequently, the head of state received numerous appeals from his wife and relatives, requesting that the convict be released to go home, so they could look after and care for him. The president agreed to this as well.

“In this regard (as far as we know), in accordance with the request of his relatives, he is now at home and recovering,” Natalya Eismont said.
Follow us on:
X
Recent news from Belarus