13:13 PoliticsPresidential election in Belarus declared valid According to Lidia Yermoshina, voter turnout has exceeded 50% in all the regions except for Minsk. As of 12:00 voter turnout in Gomel Oblast and Mogilev Oblast exceeded 60%. “The figure also includes those, who cast their votes during early voting,” the official explained.
13:06 PresidentLukashenko: I am absolutely confident we will gather in this harvest Aleksandr Lukashenko said: “I am absolutely confident we will gather in this harvest. We have three days to cross a certain threshold – 75%. Once we are past 75%, gathering in the remaining 25% will not be a problem."
13:00 PresidentLukashenko talks about his plans for election day “It will be a usual day. I cannot change anything at this very moment. Everything depends on the people who will come to the polling stations. This is not my first election. I have certain experience already. I will be waiting for the results, the same as all of you. I will simply wait,” the head of state said.
12:54 SocietyPresidential election declared valid in Brest Oblast There are 910 polling stations in Brest Oblast. There are some 983,900 registered voters. As many as 7,764 people have been accredited as observers to watch the presidential election.
12:53 EconomySecond tanker delivers American oil for Belarus to Klaipeda port Oil will be transported by rail to the oil refinery in Novopolotsk. The first few tank cars will reach the oil refinery on 12-13 August and the processing of the entire batch will begin by the end of the month.
12:53 PresidentLukashenko: Belarus-Russia relations will remain good Upon the journalists' request, Aleksandr Lukashenko unveiled the details of the recent phone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Belarusian head of state noted that he had recently reproached Russia for downgrading relations with Belarus from brotherly relations to partner cooperation.
12:30 PresidentLukashenko says ready for dialogue with opponents, promises response to provocations The head of state noted that many mass media outlets in Belarus and those who are behind them wanted a fight. However, the government took tough preventive measures.
12:17 PresidentLukashenko talks about observers' evaluation of elections While talking about possible evaluations of international observers, the head of state said: “We don't want them to say bad things about us but we will act bearing in mind interests of the Belarusian nation.”
12:04 PresidentLukashenko slams integration associations as inefficient during pandemic “Nationalism and national interests prevailed and continue to prevail,” the president said commenting on the activity of integration associations in general.
12:02 PresidentLukashenko reaffirms Belarus' commitment to cooperation with all countries The head of state remarked that Belarus is committed to cooperation with other countries across the board.
11:46 PresidentLukashenko calls 2020 election one of most challenging for him Journalists asked the head of state whether he views the ongoing election as the most difficult one for him. “I would not say that it is the most difficult one, however it is one of the most difficult ones,” Aleksandr Lukashenko admitted.
11:46 PresidentLukashenko sees no grounds for any confrontation after election “We envisage different variants,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said. He stressed that there are no grounds to say that the country will be brought into some confrontation after the election.
11:34 EconomyBelarus' share in world's industrial production doubles over years of independence Belarus' share in the world's industrial production over the years of the country's independence has increased more than two times, Belarus' Ambassador to Russia Vladimir Semashko said as he spoke to the media at the polling station for the Belarus' presidential election in Moscow on 9 August.
11:32 PresidentLukashenko on security during presidential election: Nothing will spiral out of control “Nothing will spiral out control. I guarantee that. This is the main objective for the ruling government, not only the president,” Aleksandr Lukashenko said.
11:32 PoliticsPresidential election declared valid in Mogilev Oblast According to the Central Election Commission (CEC) of Belarus, as of 10:00 the presidential election was declared valid in Mogilev Oblast, as the turnout there made up 53.87%.