Mobile version
Projects
Services
Government Bodies

UN official warns of appalling famine in Yemen

Society 09.11.2017 | 11:06

NEW YORK, 9 November (BelTA - Anadolu Agency) - Yemen could face “the largest famine the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims,” if the Saudi Arabia-led coalition does not lift a blockade on the war-torn country, a senior UN aid official said Wednesday.

Speaking to reporters after briefing the UN Security Council on the situation in Yemen behind closed doors, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock warned the coalition about refusing to allow humanitarian aid to Yemen.

“A number of measures have been introduced recently by the coalition effectively closing air, sea and land access to Yemen,” Lowcock said.

“I have told the council that unless those measures are lifted […] there will be a famine in Yemen. It will not be like the famine that we saw in South Sudan earlier in the year where tens of thousands of people were affected. It will not be like the famine which cost 250,000 people their lives in Somalia in 2011. It will be the largest famine the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims,” he added.

Since March 2015, almost 5,300 civilians have been killed and close to 9,000 injured in Yemen's war; the UN has warned that "the actual numbers were likely to be far higher".

Print version
More about Society
Latest news
All news
Weather
Minsk
Baranovichi
Bobruisk
Borisov
Brest
Warsaw
Vilnius
Vitebsk
Gomel
Grodno
Zhlobin
Kiev
Lida
Minsk
Mogilev
Mozyr
Moscow
Orsha
Polotsk
Riga
Saint Petersburg
Soligorsk
Day +8..+10°C Broken clouds
Night +4..+6°C Sun and clouds