Dinamo Stadium was officially inaugurated on 12 June 1934, reconstructed in 1939, destroyed during the Great Patriotic War. The stadium was built anew in 1947-1954.
In 1978-1980 the stadium underwent major renovations ahead of the 1980 Summer Olympics football tournament. It was expanded and fitted with a new fence featuring the 1980 Olympics symbols.
Another project to reconstruct the stadium was launched in accordance with Decree No. 220 dated 16 May 2014. According to the document, the stadium has been redeveloped to host athletics events while retaining the opportunity to football matches. The stadium comprises main and training arenas. The cost of the reconstruction is around €150 million.
The stadium includes:
tracks (nine tracks on the main arena and four tracks on the training arena);
area for long, high, pole and triple jumps, shot put, javelin, discus and hammer throwing;
The seating capacity of the stadium has been increased to 22,246, with over 75% of seats covered by a roof. The press section has been re-designed to accommodate more than 800 journalists. Some 150 commentator cabins have been installed for radio and television workers. The Olympic cauldron installed for the 1980 Games will stay in place.